Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Some things to be grateful for two months in...

1. Wonderful friends, family and a hubby who are supporting me during this newest phase of my working life.
2. The ability to go for a run smack in the middle of the work day, when I'm most in need of a break.
3. Enough savings to allow me to turn down work I am not excited about.
4. Ideas percolating.
5. A haven in the country and a nest in the city.

It's about two months from my layoff at SELF, and while things are up and down, overall, I'd have to say I'm on a slightly upward trend. I think I could come to like the ability to work really hard for four hours, without the interruption of endless email or a flurry of meetings, then take a break to exercise or throw in some laundry, or run out for an errand. Then come back, work for another hour, then wrap up my day and wake up the next with no alarm. I'm consulting,  learning a lot about digital media and life at a start-up, which is exactly my aim: Take advantage of this time to do things unlike what I've done in the past, and maybe even do things I'm a little scared to do, like... write a book.

After years at SELF covering positive psychology, one thing I walked away with is the notion that the greatest contributor to mental health and well being is the ability to be grateful, and to note it. Studies have shown that people who keep gratitude journals for a month--essentially, writing down 5 things they are grateful for every day--have sustained feelings of satisfaction and better health for months afterward. So on this day before thanksgiving, consider this blog my gratitude journal. I'm going to try to slip in one thing that I'm grateful for in every entry from now on. See if you can find it. Happy turkey day!



I'm thankful that I get to spend time with family tomorrow, among them my parents and handsome nephews.



No comments:

Post a Comment